Address

Address is Classified, by order of the boss.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Out In the field

Hey everybody! Oh what a week! I spent the last two days of the MTC alone with my companion, and we studied really really hard. I woke up to fly out to the Burbank airport at like 3 AM, and when I stepped off the plane it was like love at first sight, which was surprising, because I thought I would hate it here. It was very very nice weather. On the car ride over to the mission office I noticed that southern California looks exactly like Mexico, except with freeways and rich looking houses looking down at you on the hilltops.
I got assigned to work in the North Hollywood 4th ward, and I live in Burbank now. We are actually reopening this area after about a year of no missionaries. That means that I haven't taught a lesson to anybody yet, I've spent all of my time knocking doors, which I hope to get used to someday. I also got an new companion, a Latino named E. Vasquez. It was really ironic, he's from Guano Juanto, and all of my buddies at the stone factory were from that city too. IT HAS TO MEAN SOMETHING! But anyway, he's a pretty cool guy. It also helps a lot that we don't typically speak English.
Although it's difficult to learn another language, I am grateful that I get to preach to the Latinos. they are much more friendly and receptive. Sometimes when we tract into Americans, they almost look like they want to hurt us. But yeah, it can be kind of challenging trying to find a Latino house in North Hollywood. But I'm pretty sure next week will be good, we have a bunch of people who told us to come back and talk to them later, we'll see how that goes. I also love it when Latinos cook for you. OH MAN, I had some fantastic barbeque.
I also discovered that I enjoy cooking. My mom and grandma must have impressed this on me, I kinda have the urge to cook for everybody. I even fed like 4 missionaries yesterday, a bunch of clam spaghetti. Except the pan was too small and when I tried to drain the noodles, less than a quarter cup of water came out. Ha ha, good times. It turned out pretty good. I think I'm gaining a reputation for liking to cook. We'll see if that matters at all later.
Although the work right now can be difficult, it is still intensely spiritual. I kinda feel like I'm swimming upstream, and each day I am very very tired. But I still love it. Or at least I know that I will come to love it soon. As far as being tired goes, I bought some vitamins, and they seem to help. (I'm sure all of you wanted to know that). I guess the point is, I feel very close to God. Hungry, but close to god.
I love you all!
Joseph

Editor's note: I guarantee everyone will love him, now that he's cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment